Our commitment is to make original jewellery and promote best practices in material sourcing and social responsibility.
Similar to other industries, short-term profit has been and often still is prioritized over durability, sustainability, environmental and human health/wellbeing. In jewellery this can be especially damaging due to the nature of mining. We attempt to join companies making a positive change to the fashion industry. For us:
- Maximum attention is given to quality. Our aim is to make timeless pieces that can be passed down generations. We don’t do fashion trends. We will never do gold-plating, we will never work with cheaper metals ie. stainless steel, which may be seen as somewhat disposable. Ensuring only high quality pieces means we take less, need to produce less and are responsible for less waste.
- We seek to profit from our business but this is by no means the overarching goal.
- We have joined a handful of other companies in pledging to give away at least 10% of our profits each year to support evidence based global highly effective charities. We were inspired to do this through Giving What We Can (GWWC), a community of nearly 6000 individuals from over 80 countries. The company pledge is a more recent initiative and we are the 14th company to join. Together, the members have already donated at least $222 million and pledged a further $2.3 billion (see GWWC site).
Some people may downplay the impact a small company like us can have, but some global estimates put SME contributions to GDP as high as 70%. Clearly if more companies were involved in this initiative the world would be a better place. We hope that we can show others it can be commercially viable to take the pledge, even at this early stage.
- We strive to be good employers promoting work/life balance. Our small team works the equivalent of a 30-hour working week, and are paid the equivalent of a 37.5-hour working week.
- We strive to do little to no harm to people or the environment. We should serve as the more environmentally friendly alternative to fast fashion jewellery. We seek constant improvement in this field. The materials we use are here.